"Can You Give Me a Good Diet?"

Saturday, May 9, 2015

If I had a quarter for every time I heard that question, I wouldn't need to work as a dietitian any more.


First off, I hate the term "diet". It is usually spoken in a negative tone and more often than not implies a short term restriction of calories or certain foods or food groups to aid in weight loss. 

The definition of diet as a noun: the kinds of food that a person, animal, or community habitiually eats; or a special course of food to which one restricts oneself, either to lose weight or for medical reasons. It can also be used as a verb: restrict oneself to small amounts or special kinds of food in order to lose weight. 

While all those definitions are true, the first is my favorite. Notice the word habitually. It implies a lifestyle, habits, choices made continuously. It conjures an image of a life designed around deliberate choices; choices made to reach a desired end. Most people who ask me for a diet do not have this definition in mind. They're thinking of the second. They want me to give them a quick answer, a magic pill, if you will, to help them lose weight. 

There is no magic pill. There are no special foods that will melt fat or burn calories because they "require more energy to digest than they contain". 

Second, nutrition is personal. Just like each and every person is different, the nutrition that is best for that person will be different. I can't - and won't - give them a calorie goal, "dieting tips" or any other nutrition advice without first having the chance to view a medical record for pertinent information or interviewing the person for lifestyle choices and daily habits. What works for one person might not work for all.

And, last but certainly not least, more than likely they don't want to hear what I have to say or have no intention of taking any of my advice or instructions to heart. 

In the early stages of my career as a dietitian, when I was asked that question, I was eager to answer. I wanted to help people. After all, that's why I wanted to be a dietitian. I would start out with, "Sure! Make sure to eat 3 meals a day, incorportate lots of fruits and vegetables and try to exercise." But as soon as I opened my mouth, the person asking the question would interrupt (or if they were nice would wait till I finished) and say, "I just can't do breakfast. It makes me sick to eat in the morning." or "I hate salads. I just can't do vegetables because I hate salads." 

It seems the minute they start to hear changes that have to be made or things they'll have to do that don't include a magic pill or food or some secret only a dietitian must have, they stop listening. 

An individual doesn't gain weight or become unhealthy or develop a disease overnight: chances are they won't lose weight, get healthier or suddenly be cured of a disease overnight either. No one seems to want to hear that. And I don't blame them. Waiting is hard. Change is harder. But a quick fix is just that:  a quick fix. It's not a solution. 

So please don't ask me if I know a good diet.

But if you would like personalized nutrition advice tailored to your specific height, weight, BMI, disease and/or health state, I'd be more than happy to make an appointment with you. Please be prepared to hear what you might not want to hear or be advised to make changes you may think at first to be too hard. But I promise to help you make changes that you can incorporate (and may have suggested yourself!) into your daily life. If you're unable to make an appointment with me, please seek advice from another Registered Dietitian. Use the "Find an Expert" tool on the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics website. http://www.eatright.org/find-an-expert 

If you do ask me, please don't be surprised to hear, "I'm sorry, I don't. But I'm sure Dr. Oz does."

0 comments: